Monday, May 9, 2011

Down Under Quilt

Friday evening Pete started sewing his down under quilt to go underneath his camping hammock, which he'd just sewn the weekend prior. I'm very impressed with Pete's sewing skills. I've attempted to sew some projects on a sewing machine, but honestly, I suck at it (I'll stick with scrapbooking). Part of the process for making his down under quilt was he had to cut up his sleeping bag so he could take the down from it. Both Daniel (once he heard about this) and I were devastated! We both wanted this sleeping bag if Pete ever decided to get rid of it; it just keeps you so warm when you're out camping. Anyhoo, Pete cut into the sleeping bag and took half of the down out of it. The other half will go into the quilt that he'll make next, which he will use in place of a sleeping bag when he sleeps in his hammock. I helped hold the quilt fabric while Pete filled it with down. It took 90 minutes to complete, and by the end, there were little feathers everywhere in our living room (I think I accidentally inhaled a few lol). I must say it was impressive once he had it all done.

Pete working away at his sewing machine. He calls it his 'baby'
Pete pinning his fabric
Don't let that face fool you. Pete wasn't sad one bit to cut into it :)
Pete's wicked smile as he goes to make the first cut of his sleeping bag. I was so sad :)
The down under quilt almost complete. Pete just had to add some shock cord in order to hang and attach it to his hammock.

No comments:

Post a Comment