Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Golden Acorn Award

Today I attended the end-of-year school assembly to help represent PTA with handing out a few awards. Each year we hand out an award for Outstanding Educator and the Golden Acorn Award, which is for the outstanding volunteer. As the PTA President, Shane, started talking about the winner for the volunteer award, my face slowly started turning red as I realized he was talking about me!! Before I knew it, my name was announced. I was given the Golden Acorn Award!!! I actually started crying a little because I was so touched by this. Shane gave me a hug, as did Mrs. Brown, the office manager Pat, and the principal Tom. I had bugged Tom last Friday if he knew who received the awards because it was under such tight wraps and no one would tell me. I was curious, never thinking I'd get enough votes for such an award,  So when Tom congratulated me, he joked "and that's why you didn't get to know who won." 

I love doing what I do, and having the ability to go in whenever I can to volunteer. This past year, I was at the school 4 days a week minimum, depending on what I had going on with PTA and general classroom volunteering. And I loved every minute of it. And seeing all the kids I know smile or hug me, or simply saying hi to me when passing in the hallway was so rewarding just in itself, but this award is a nice surprise! :)

Me right after I received the award (I also was given a little acorn-shaped pin)
 My award

No comments:

Post a Comment