Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Visiting Mrs. Brown

Last Friday Peter made a trip to our old school. It was the day of the school's carnival, and he'd been asked to come back to help set up the prize board (something he's done for the last three years, yet no one else bothered to learn it). Peter graciously said yes. After thinking about it for a bit, I emailed Kristjan's second grade teacher, Mrs. Brown, to see if she'd be available that afternoon for Kristjan to come visit. She of course said YES! Mrs. Brown is a wonderful woman and a marvelous teacher. I knew the first moment I met her she was awesome (she was one of the candidates that I helped interview for the open second grade position a few summers ago...and luckily Kristjan got in her class!). And Kristjan adores her! He cried the last day of school last year because he wouldn't get to see her everyday anymore. At night, when I'd tuck him in bed, he would cry and say he missed her. He even wrote her letters over last summer. His missing her is always there, but the crying has slowly subsided, coming back only once in a while. The day before I emailed Mrs. Brown inquiring about the visit, Peter noticed something on our bathroom mirror after his shower. At some point, Kristjan had drawn on the mirror a face of a girl with a heart around it and had written "Mrs Brown". Too Cute!! So it was perfect timing to set up this little visit.

So the time came for Kristjan to go with Peter to the old school (I had already made plans with a friend, so unfortunately I wasn't able to go along). He dressed up in a nice shirt with a tie (which Mrs. Brown loved), drew a picture of her to give (which Mrs. Brown loved as well), and had a bouquet of flowers for her (which Mrs. Brown loved even more!). She was overjoyed with his visit. I know Kristjan holds a special place in her heart as well. She's always gushing about how special and loving he is. And I know she misses having him in her class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment