Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Sad, Sad Day....



Pete and I are so very sad today. We have been lucky enough to avoid this for six (and five) years. We were so proud of this. But sadly, the day the we hoped would never come has arrived: both boys have a cavity (or two)!!!! I just got back from taking both boys to their six month dental check up. Clifford has one cavity to be filled, and Kristjan has two cavities to fill. They're small ones, between their teeth, in the back. I suppose I should be happy about that at least. But it still sucks. I have always been on top of them about brushing and flossing their teeth twice a day (ok, well, maybe not so much on the flossing, but it still got done eventually). I was in with Clifford while the doctor talked with me (Kristjan was in another room getting worked on). I verified with the doctor that he would need a shot in his mouth. She and her assistant gave me a look as if to ask "is it ok to discuss this in front of him??", since I guess most parents don't want to freak their kids out. I told her to go ahead and be honest in front of him; he needs to know what's going to happen and we (as parents) never 'sugar coat' anything with them. So yes, they would get shots in their mouth to numb them. It was suggested to use nitrous, especially for Kristjan since he wiggles a lot. Since Kristjan has to go in two separate appointments to get his fillings, I suppose maybe we should for him. At least we get a (slight) discount on the nitrous. I think Clifford could handle the procedure without it. But we'll see. Pete and I will talk tonight, and I'll call tomorrow to schedule their appointments. Guess now I need to be even MORE on top of their teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment