Friday, April 29, 2011

Fire Marshall Pete

Sunday morning Pete and Daniel headed outside after breakfast to start the gas bbq so they could smoke the ham for our Easter dinner. I don't know all the details (feel free to ask Pete), but as Pete went to light the gas bbq, flames shot out, burning the top of his hand and melting the sleeve of his jacket (Daniel witnessed it and said we were lucky the side of the house didn't catch on fire). For the entire day, Pete switched off between running his hand under water, sticking it in the freezer, laying a bag of frozen hashbrowns on his hand, and soaking it in a bucket full of ice water. That night I was up and down in bed about 5 times helping to take care of Pete (and we have a waterbed, which I always have a hard time getting off of). I got him ice packs; I got him a wet washcloth; a glass of water, etc etc. After all this and I resettle myself in bed to fall asleep (it was about 10pm), I hear him say "How much do you love me?" I slowly respond with "why?" His reply is "You know what would help? Some burn cream ointment". I just quietly laid there for a few minutes, trying to ignore that last comment. I finally let out a sigh and got out of bed AGAIN. This time I drove up to Wal-Mart (in my pj's) and bought him the burn cream ointment. I came back home, had him apply a layer of it, and FINALLY went to bed for the night. The next morning while I drove kids to school Pete texted me asking to make him a doctor appointment for his hand. He went in and received another cream to use on his hand as well as some pain pills, since his job mainly consists of using a computer. I just hope his hand heals up and he'll be ok.

p.s. I forgot to mention that Pete's eyelashes even got a little toasted! Sorry, no pics of that.

This is basically what Pete did the entire day
Pete's burnt jacket sleeve
Some pics of his hand. These were taken a few days after the incident, but you get a good idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment