Monday, May 17, 2010

Clam Digging



This last weekend was a loooonnnggg, busy, but fun weekend. It started early at 2:30am on Saturday. We got ourselves up and ready to drive out to Tacoma, where met up with Daniel and his family, and his dad Dale to carpool out to Ocean City for some clam digging. Our goal was to meet up with Uncle Gene at about 6:30am. When we arrived in Ocean City the tide was low, the sun was shining, and it was so peaceful! Uncle Gene, Jeff, Sierra and Brandon already had their limit of 15 clams each, so they helped us out and showed us how to use the clam guns (this was our first time clam digging). Boy, let me tell you, it's hard work clam digging!!! Uncle Gene walked with me and Kristjan on the beach to help us get our clams. As tough as it was sucking up the sand, it was exciting when you actually saw the clam and knew your hard work paid off. Kristjan didn't want to touch the clams to put in his bucket, so I had to do ALL of the work. I think we were all done and had our limit within 20 minutes. Each adult with a digging license gets a limit of 15 clams, then each child you have can get 15 as well. So our family had 60 clams, and Daniel and Jessica of 30 clams (their boys were at her dad's house for the day). Once done, we headed back to our cars to chill for a little bit and the boys played in the sand before heading home. Once home (which we got back around 11am), Jessica and I took a nap while my boys played in the backyard while the men cleaned and prepped the clams. For the rest of the day we just hung out. While the guys relaxed at home, I ran around running errands with Jessica (and we ran into our Aunt Janet and Uncle Tom at Walmat-great seeing you guys!!). Later that evening Dominic and Damien came home, we bbq some salmon and oysters, and the men did a little remodeling work on the bathroom. Our plan was to go clam digging some more in Westport the next morning, so Jessica and I worked on getting everything ready for the next day. As the night wore on and we were so tired (plus it sounded like Dale wasn't too interested in going again), we decided we would just sleep in and not worry about going. Well, come 6:45am Daniel wakes us all up-Dale was waiting outside for us to go!!! UGGHH!! So in 15 minutes all of us (4 adults and 5 kids) were ready and out the door to Westport. It took us longer to find our limit of clams this time around. I was so sore and tired that I didn't care if I found big or tiny clams-I just wanted to get done with it. But in the end it was worth it and so much fun. For the rest of the day back home Daniel and Pete worked on putting in a backdoor to Daniel's house while I cleaned and prepped all the clams that we caught that day. It was a little disgusting to do but I enjoyed it. After all of that was done, we relaxed a bit before Pete, me and the boys headed back home.







No comments:

Post a Comment