Friday, January 9, 2015

(Former) PTA Treasurer Charged with First-Degree Theft

Well, it's officially been publicly announced....yes!!!

Last August, about a month and a half after completing my term as PTA Secretary, it was discovered that the Treasurer stole close to $40,000 from the PTA funds!!!!! I was trying to finish packing for our family reunion trip when my friend, and fellow Board member, Anne called in a panic. She had discovered that some recent checks written out had bounced, and after calling the bank, discovered the account was negative (like in the thousands), and it had been for quite some time. Since our names were both still on the account, Anne and I headed straight to the bank to try to figure out what was going on.....

So, long story short, yes, the Treasurer stole the money!! Checks had been written to herself and cashed, money from events was never deposited, but rather pocketed, and even her apartment complex made an automatic withdrawal a time or two for her rent (!!!). So how did she get away with this for so long??? Simple...the President of our Board didn't do his job. One of the "job descriptions" of the President is to meet every month with the Treasurer and review all bank statements and checks written. He never did. If he had, this probably could have been caught early on, maybe two months after she started doing this. The guy is a complete idiot and he is partly to blame for this happening (phew....I feel soooo much better now that I've said that. Been waiting a long time for that).

And now, it's finally become public. The article gives her reason as to why she did this (well, actually, I have a copy of her statement, and the news is only stating half of her reason. I can't divulge what was written, but I will say it's a complete lie. I had to write a statement contradicting what she had written). She paid back a majority of the funds missing (or I should say her dad did) and apologized. We call BS on everything...her reason, her apology. She's just sorry she got caught.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/former-pta-treasurer-charged-stealing-cover-gambli/njh8x/

No comments:

Post a Comment