Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why we don't play with knives...

What a morning!! Clifford didn't have school today, but Kristjan had preschool. It's before 8am and I'm trying to finish getting myself ready for the day, when I happened to walk out to the living room and see Clifford in the corner of my eye holding his hand with a painful expression. Next to him, there is a spot of blood on the couch. He had gotten ahold of Pete's pocket knife and sliced his finger. Blood is just oozing out of it. Now, I don't do blood. I will get sick and woozy with the possibility of passing out. Luckily, this time, that didn't happen. I put Clifford's finger under running water and had him apply a washcloth to it. I literally walked out of the bathroom for a minute to call Pete at work when I heard a 'thunk'. I go back in to see Clifford laying between the toilet and the wall with a dazed look on his face. Guess the blood was too much him to handle; he had passed out for a second and hit his head on the floor. I'm 'yelling' at Clifford to focus and to get himself up so I can make sure he's ok. Poor Clifford; his entire face and lips were white as chalk. About that time Pete calls me back. I told him I'd be swinging by his work to have him look at Clifford's finger and see if he needs stitches. While I'm talking to Pete, Kristjan is trying to be a nice little brother and put a band-aid on Clifford :)

So we get to Pete's work. He takes a look at it and decides that a band-aid won't fix this. It just so happens that Pete's work is up the road from out family doctor. We head there and see if they can fix Clifford up and save us a trip to the hospital (and an outrageous charge to our insurance). Pete stayed with Clifford while I took Kristjan to school. Shortly after I arrived back to the doctor's office, Pete and Clifford came out. Clifford avoided stitches. The doctor 'super-glued' his finger and bandaged him up. He has to keep it dry and bandaged up for about 3 days, then just wear a band-aid for a week after that.

We think (hopefully!) Clifford learned his lesson with this :)





No comments:

Post a Comment